Friday, December 25, 2015

Sleeping Infant


 The Story
I came across these photographs of a stone carving I did in 1988 which I was very fond of at the time and still am. Looking at the photos now I would call that time in my work as my 'Romantic' period and was carving all my sculptures 'direct' or, working from memory. 
Jacob Epstein, sculptor 1880 -1959 and Stanley Spencer, painter 1891-1959 were my 'heroes' at the time and would still hold high regards today for them so-much-so that I traveled to England in 1993 to visit their graves ... 'my pilgrimage'. Interesting point here ... '93 was also the time I was taking part in a symposium in stone in Israel. The sculpture was also worked 'direct' and was titled 'The Kings Pillow' which won the first prize for me.
Epstein who helped to pioneer modern sculpture along with Spencer in painting both had more than interesting private life's ... these men were braking and changing the rules both in art and society which also appealed to my artistic senses. When you have had 'heroes' in life it's hard to rid them from your mind. They go to the grave with you.

Sleeping Infant




 Material; Polished Irish Limestone.
 Size; 17in. x 9in. x 8in.    Edition: One off. Private Collection, Ireland.  Year: 1988.



No comments: