Friday, September 18, 2009

ENERGY FOR BENGAL


2002   


NANDAN ART MUSEUM,
VISVA BHARATI UNIVERSITY,
SANTINIKETAN,
WEST BENGAL,
INDIA

Welded Steel

2.75m High x 1.22m X 1.22m


The Story

I was invited by VISVA BHARATI UNIVERSITY in West Bengal as ' visiting artist ' . I gladly accepted the invitation because it was their recognition to me as a self taught artist , but I will admit I was quite nervous at the time because they wanted me to ' teach '. This I could not do because I believe everybody is capable of making ' art ' in some form or other , admittedly there are born teachers and there are born artists , teacher I am not , artist I try to be . So in my own way I ' interacted ' with the students , in that way I felt we all could learn from each other and I have to say here that the students were of a very high standard , both in sculpture and in painting .
ENERGY FOR BENGAL was my present to VISVA BHARATI . The sculpture welded steel through out . The main frame represents North , South , East and West , India . The top part , in a box frame is symbolic of man within his Mind and the bars of steel coming from this are symbolic of Energy which move in the wind acting as a ' chime ' so you hear different sound pitch when you are near the sculpture . The boat at the bottom is carrying the rice , the food of India , and rotates on the symbolic fountain of water , representing Life , the People , the Energy .



MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected




No comments: